Genetic Risk Test for Cruciate Ligament Rupture in Labrador Retrievers

09/22/2022

CHF Grant 02624: Embracing Polygenicity of Common Complex Disease in Dogs: Genome-wide Association of Cruciate Ligament Rupture

Publication: peer-reviewed publication pending

What can we learn?
Genetic features of cruciate ligament rupture were studied in a population of just over 1,000 Labrador Retrievers. Heritability was found to be 0.62 and while thousands of genes are involved, a genetic risk test is now available. Results will show a dog as ‘predicted to be a case’ (the dog has genetic markers that predict it will likely rupture a cruciate ligament) or ‘predicted to be a control’ (the dog has genetic markers that are protective against cruciate ligament rupture).

Conclusion:
62% of the risk of cruciate ligament rupture in Labrador Retrievers is caused by genetic factors, while the remaining 38% of risk is associated with environmental factors.
A genetic risk test is now available for cruciate ligament rupture in the Labrador Retriever. It is important to remember that this is a risk test for a complex disease which requires more thoughtful consideration than testing for a simple mendelian disease.

For more information, visit www.vetmed.wisc.edu/lab/corl/canine-genetic-testing/.

 

Help Future Generations of Dogs

Participate in canine health research by providing samples or by enrolling in a clinical trial. Samples are needed from healthy dogs and dogs affected by specific diseases.

Learn How to Help

Get Canine Health News:
Please leave this field empty
American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation, Inc

8051 Arco Corporate Dr.
Suite 300
Raleigh, NC 27617
(888)-682-9696

Tax ID# 13-3813813

   2020 GuideStar logo

© 2021 AKC Canine Health Foundation | Privacy Policy | Site Map

Site by Blackbaud, Inc.